Brief History

Abu Dhabi Police... A long march of giving and a symbol of security and affiliation.

25_jpg.jpg

 

Change and development have been unique at all levels and aspects in Abu Dhabi Police. The historical stages through which Abu Dhabi Police had passed for more than 50 years since its establishment (in 1957), are the harvest of the effort and vigilance of loyal leaders and great figures of police personnel. His Highness Sheikh Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahyan, President of the UAE, said in his praise of them: : "The security and tranquility of our country are the fruit of the efforts of those loyal men, who fulfill their responsibilities and carry out their missions sincerely, day and night, towards their country, their citizens, and towards all those residing in this country. The Police has always lived up to our expectations, as we all realize the great role they play in the face of the radical changes and rapid development the country is undergoing".

 

Since its inception, Abu Dhabi Police GHQ has been keen to implement the late Sheikh Zayed bin Sultan Al Nahyan's statement: "The police is the cornerstone of the stability of the country's security and the spread of peace among its people".

 

An Overview of Abu Dhabi Police:

In 1957, Abu Dhabi Police was established with the task of only guarding the Ruler's palace, the government house, the market and the banks and with a force of no more than 80 policemen, four Land Rover cars only and a modest budget.

In 1958, His Highness Sheikh Sultan bin Shakhbout was appointed Chief of Police.

In 1959, the number of police personnel reached 250, and it was called (Police Department). The staff was divided into two types; Policemen (with the duty of guarding the palace, government house, markets, banks, patrols, etc.) and the Matarzi (whose task is to protect the Ruler during all his movements). Towards the end of the 1950's, several Stations were affiliated to the Police Department such as Tarif Station in the Western Region, Al Maqta' Station within Abu Dhabi Island and the Al Maraba Station in Al Ain.

The year 1962 witnessed the appearance of the first mounted police patrol, Al Fursan (Horsemen).

In 1967, the Police Department was expanded and renamed as the "Police and Security Command". The Police School had started preparing a local police force, which laid the foundation of the current Police College.

In 1971, a Decree was issued by the Federal Supreme Council to unify the police forces in the country, with the Ministry of Interior having direct supervisory authority on all matters related to security, immigration and residency.

In 1977, the Reorganization of Governmental Bodies in the Emirate of Abu Dhabi Law was enacted and Abu Dhabi Police came to be known as the General Directorate of Police.

In 1981, the General Directorate of Abu Dhabi Police was renamed as the "General Department of Abu Dhabi Police".

In 1995, His Highness Shaik Saif bin Zayed Al Nahyan assumed responsibilities of commanding Abu Dhabi Police.

In 2003, the first Strategy was launched to determine the future that Abu Dhabi Police aspires to.

In 2004, the General Department of Abu Dhabi Police was renamed as "Abu Dhabi Police GHQ", and the Organizational Structure was developed.

 

Get to know about the history of Abu Dhabi Police through the book "Illuminations on the march of Abu Dhabi Police" issued by the GHQ in celebration of its Golden Jubilee in 2007.