What is an electronic crime?
It is any criminal act in which a computer or the internet is utilized as a main tool for such an act. Electronic crimes include unlawful access to protected websites, and can be defined as any unlawful or unauthorized act on computer systems or hacking into data.
Types of Electronic Crimes:
- Verbal offense or defamation via the internet
- Fraud via e-mail and fake websites
- Credit card forgery
- Internet Phishing
When Using Instant Messaging Programs, Pay Attention to the Following:
- Change your password on a regular basis and make sure it is difficult to guess.
- Do not use IM programs to discuss private and confidential matters.
- Do not use a personal photo as a profile photo.
- Ensure to turn off the camera of your device, and cover the camera with tape.
- Remember to log out of the IM program.
When Using You E-mail:
- Scan any attachment using an anti-virus software before opening it.
- Do not reply to any messages that request your personal data.
- Do not access your e-mail in public spaces.
- It is recommended to use a local or paid e-mail service, e.g. email@example.com
When Surfing Social Networks Pay Attention to the Following:
- Do not add any photos or information that you don’t want strangers to see.
- Be careful about any content you upload onto these sites since it gets permanently stored even if you delete it.
- Use a strong password that is difficult to guess.
- Do not accept any add requests from people you don’t know.
- To ensure that your personal data are not exposed to Google or any other search engines, adjust the “search” option under Privacy Settings.
Beware Fraud Attempts:
Beware of any fraudulent e-mails that you may receive in your e-mail inbox or mobile phone that tell of a financial prize you have won.
Do not contact these fraudulent entities or reply to their messages.
Do Not Trust Strangers
When Shopping Online:
You need to know the source that you are buying from and examine the web address of the website you are dealing with for security, as it should start with ‘https.’
Save an electronic copy in your email of the information and bills that include your personal data.
It is advised to use a credit card that is dedicated for e-shopping.
Any intentional act that unlawfully leads to a website, or an IT system, whether by entering the site or trespassing a restricted-access area, shall be penalized by incarceration and fine, or one of these two penalties.
Federal Law no.2 for the year 2006